You are here



The Laverton Domestic Airport is located three kilometres from the centre of town.

Refuelling facilities are available with JET A1 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.

For more information please contact the Shire Office on (08) 9031-1202.


Skippers operate regular public return flights from Perth three (3) days per week     (Monday, Wednesday and Friday). Skippers enquiries and bookings should be directed to Ms Jenny Baker on 0438 311 046.

Skippers current flight schedule is available here.

Community Bus

The Shire of Laverton provides a Community Bus for hire to residents.

Bookings can be made by contacting the Shire of Laverton on 08 9031 1202 during normal office hours. 

Community Gym


Community Resource Centre

The Laverton Community Resource Centre commenced operation in 2003 under the name of the Laverton Telecentre. The Laverton Community Resource Centre is a non for profit organisation run by the Shire of Laverton which employs three staff to carry out its day to day operations.

The remote community of Laverton consists of approximately 400 people in the town site, with a further 1000 people in the surrounding districts. Like most of the towns in the Northern Goldfields, Laverton is no different when it comes to being sustained by the surrounding mining companies with Barrick Gold, AngloGold Ashanti, Lynas Corp and Minara Resources providing employment opportunities for local people.

The Laverton Community Resource Centre was established because of a proven need in the community for access to the latest information and communication technology. Over the years the Laverton Community Resource Centre has grown to provide more than just the information and communication technology services, it has expanded to include a local library, Department of Transport Licensing Agency, and many more secretarial services.

The Laverton Community Resource Centre delivers a range of services and programs ranging from training courses; fee for service activities such as photocopying, videoconferencing and internet access; to community project development and management.

For more information about the Laverton Community Resource Centre please visit


There are approximately 50 dogs registered in the Shire of Laverton and it is also estimated there could be up to 40 unregistered dogs. Registration not only ensures that the owner is complying with State legislation, but also provides a method for the Ranger to return your dog quickly. When a dog is impounded it can only be returned to its owner if the Ranger knows where it comes from.

Registration fees are set by the State Government and the current costs are as follows:

Registration Fee

1 Year

3 Years







Sterilised (Pensioner)

$ 5.00

$ 9.00

Unsterilised (Pensioner)



Working Dogs (Sterilised)

$ 2.50

$ 4.50

Working Dogs (Unsterilised)

$ 7.50


Lifetime Registration

(Sterilised)     $100.00

(Unsterilised) $250.00

*Pensioner fees are 50% of full fees



For further information on dog registration or complaints please contact the Shire Offices on 9031 1202.

For enquiries regarding stray or impounded dogs please contact the Ranger on 0428 833 905.


What are rates?

Rates are a property-based charge imposed on all properties within the Shire of Laverton. The Rates are used to provide and maintain a variety of facilities, programmes and services within the Shire including: Roads, Community Services and the administration of the Shire.

Who pays rates?

Under the Local Government Act 1995, the owner of a property is liable for all rates and charges imposed on the land by the Shire of  Laverton. Residential houses, commercial premises, vacant lots or tenements granted by the Department of Minerals and Energy are all considered rateable properties.

There are certain properties in the Shire that are deemed non-rateable in accordance with the Local Government Act 1995. These properties include: Crown (Government) Land, land and buildings vested in the Shire of Laverton and reserves that are used for certain purposes (eg park).

How are rates calculated?

Rates are calculated by multiplying the property valuation (supplied by the Valuer Generals Office) by the rate-in-the-dollar as determined by Council.

Once Council has determined its level of expenditure and income (its “Budget”) for a financial year, it must then determine what rate-in-the-dollar, once applied to each property valuation, will achieve the level of desired income by the Shire.

The rates-in-the-dollar set by Council.

What is the difference between a Gross Rental Valuation (GRV) and an Unimproved Valuation (UV)?

Gross Rental valuations and Unimproved Valuations are supplied by the Valuer Generals Office and are the basis for rates calculations.

Simply speaking:

A Gross Rental Valuation represents the annual rental an owner could reasonably expect for their property if it were to be leased. Gross Rental Valuations are determined by a number of factors including, but not limited to, the current rental markets and location of the property.

If the land is vacant, the Gross Rental Valuation represents 5% of the capital value of the land (i.e. 5% of its value on the current market).

Gross Rental Valuations apply to all properties within the townsite boundary of the Shire of Laverton.

In the Shire of Laverton, an Unimproved Valuation is applied to all rural and pastoral properties, and mining tenements.

For land such as pastoral leases, the Unimproved Valuation represents the site or land value only of the property and does not take into consideration any dwellings or structures that may be on the land.

For Mining tenements, the Unimproved Valuations is determined by the size of the tenement and the annual rental paid to the Department of Minerals and Energy.

What if I don’t agree with the valuation on my property?

If you are unhappy with the valuation on your property, you can lodge an objection to the Valuer Generals Office. This objection must be lodged within 65 days from the date of issue of your yearly or interim rate notice. The Shire is able to provide general information regarding lodging an objection but cannot prepare the objection or assist in the Valuer Generals decision. Please contact the Shire, should you wish to obtain further information.

What if I don’t pay my rates?

There are 3 payment options available to ratepayers:

  1. Pay in full by due date to receive a discount
  2. Pay by four instalments offered to ratepayers
  3. Make an alternative payment arrangement with the Shire.

Rates and charges are due 35 days from the date of issue on the notice, and you must have fulfilled one of the above payment options by that date.

If you do not make a payment as outlined above, the Shire of Laverton may proceed with legal action to recover the outstanding rates and charges. A summons may be issued against you, and all fees for this action are payable by you, the ratepayer.

Legal action is not a preferred option by the Shire, and the Shire is more than willing to assist ratepayers in meeting their obligations to pay the rates and charges. If you are unable to pay your rates and charges in full and would like to make other suitable arrangements, please contact the Shire of Laverton Rates Department on (08) 9031 1202 or email to


The Shire is responsible for 42kms of bitumen roads and 4457kms of unsealed (gravel) roads. The Laverton to Leonora Road is under the control of Main Roads WA. All queries to be directed to phone 1800 013 314 or 138 138 or visit the website

The Great Central Road within the Shire of Laverton boundary has 12.7kms of sealed road and 445.5kms of unsealed road. The Great Central Road is part of the Outback Way which links Western Australia through the Northern Territory and on in to Queensland. Further information about the Outback Way can be found be found by clicking on the following link Outback Way.

Road Condition Report

Ring the Shire of Laverton Office – (08) 9031 1202 and select Option 1 for the current road condition report. This number is available to call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Drivers are urged to exercise caution and use moderate speeds when travelling on open roads.

Roads Maintenance

If you have a concern about a particular road within the Shire of Laverton, please contact the Shire’s Executive Manager Technical Services on phone 08 9031 1202 or email: 

Rubbish Collections

The Shire is responsible for the collection of domestic and commercial rubbish, refuse site maintenance, street cleaning and general litter control.

Collection of domestic/household bins from the Laverton Townsite and Mt Margaret Community is every WEDNESDAY*. Collection from the Wongatha Wongannarra Village is every FRIDAY*. Please ensure your bin in placed on the roadside verge by 6.00am to ensure collection.

Industrial bins are collected every MONDAY and FRIDAY.

240L wheelie bins can be purchased from the Shire.

Ratepayers within the Laverton town site are required to pay an annual refuse service charge, which is not only for the collection of the rubbish, but as a contribution towards the costs of litter control, street cleaning and refuse site maintenance.

The Laverton Refuse Disposal Site is located 1.5km’s south of town off Merolia Road. Residents are urged to ensure that when carting their own rubbish to the tip that the load is secure so as not to fall off.

*Changes to this service due to public holidays will be advertised locally.

Shire Hall

The Shire of Laverton Town Hall is available for hire to residents.

Bookings can be made by contacting the Shire of Laverton on 08 9031 1202 during normal office hours.

Laverton Community Pool

Opening Hours

The Laverton Community Pool is open between October and April each year.  For the 2014/2015 season, the Pool will be open from 10:00am-1:00pm and 2:00pm-6:00pm every day from Wednesday to Monday inclusive.  The Pool is closed all day on Tuesdays except during school holidays.


Entry Costs



Child under 5 with responsible adult


Child (5 to17 years) per entry


Adult per entry


Spectator (Child) per entry


Spectator (Adult) per entry



Season Tickets



Child (5 to17 years)




Family (2 adults & 2 children)



*Please note: Operating times are subject to change. Please call the Shire of Laverton Office on 9031 1202 for up to date information.


Please follow this link

Health and Building


Should residents require any information on environmental health related issues please contact the Shire office and your concerns will be forwarded to the Environmental Health Officer.


When intending to construct a building or alter, demolish or remove an existing building, application is required to be made to Council. Applications shall be made on the appropriate form and lodged at the Shire office.

Demolition Licenses

An application and subsequent issue of a Demolition Licence is required to take down a building. The licence may include conditions deemed necessary for the safe and proper execution of such works.

For further information and applications contact the Shire office on (08) 9031 1202.