You are here

Communities

Wongatha Wongannarra

The Wongatha Wonganarra Village is located on the Old Laverton Road in about 1.5km west of Laverton. The Wongatha Wonganarra Aboriginal Corporation was formed in 1974.

Mount Margaret

Mount Margaret also once known as Craiggiemore is located 32kms south-west of Laverton in the Goldfields-Esperance region of Western Australia.

The first European through the area was the explorer John Forrest who visited the area in 1869. He named a nearby hill Mount Margaret after Margaret Elvire Hamersley whom he later married in 1876. The Indigenous Australian name for the same hill is Kalgara.

Gold was discovered in the area in the 1880s and was discovered close to the town in 1894 by James Ross and R. McKenzie. The main mines name was Craiggiemore which is situated on the Eastern side of the town. By 1896 the local progress association began campaigning for the town site to be declared. By 1897 lots had been surveyed and the town site was gazetted in the same year.

A police station opened in the town in 1898 but was closed in 1899.

The site of the community that is now Mount Margaret was founded as a mission by the United Aborigines Mission in 1921, and soon drew Aboriginal people from surrounding areas. By 1928, after the mission became the central rationing station for the whole district, the WA Government moved the Mount Margaret mission further east. The process of establishing formal independence from the United Aborigines Mission was concluded in 1976, with the Aboriginal Movement for Outback Survival (AMOS) Aboriginal Corporation, an association formed by past and present Mount Margaret residents taking over responsibility for the community.

Mt Margaret

Established

1897

Postcode

6440

Elevation

418 (1,371 ft.)

Location

900km (559 mi) from Perth

 

356km (221 mi) from Kalgoorlie

 

28km (17 mi) from Laverton

Mulga Queen

The permanent buildings making up Mulga Queen were established in the mid-1980s. The settlement originally came about as a result of gold discoveries in the region in the late 1900s and the arrival of prospectors. These events and increasing contact with Europeans were accompanied by a breakdown of the traditional lifestyle of the Aboriginal people living in the area. Later a food depot was established by the government and Mulga Queen became established as a semi-permanent camping ground for Aboriginal people.

The community which has a population of around 50 people is managed through its incorporated body, Nurra Kurramunoo Aboriginal Corporation, incorporated under the Aboriginal Councils and Associations Act 1976 on 9 September 1987.

Cosmo Newberry - http://www.ngaanyatjarra.org.au/communities/cosmo-newberry